Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Toyota RAV4  (Read 15776 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Toyota RAV4
« on: June 01, 2006, 01:30:01 am »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Test Drive:
2006 Toyota RAV4

2006 Toyota RAV4 base 4-cylinder4-cylinder vs. V6.  Larger in every dimension, the redesigned 2006 RAV4 now offers V6 as well as 4-cylinder power. Managing Editor Grant Yoxon likes the RAV4's well-designed, spacious interior and "plentiful and well-thought out storage." However, the choice of a "reserved" 4-cylinder or a "muscular" V6 left him "wondering if a single engine with sufficient power for most activities would not have been better than two engines at opposite extremes of the power continuum."     More...

UmroAyyar

Re: CD Article: 2006 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:47:34 am »
The only boo-boo on this vehicle is bundling side airbags with top-end V6 model while almost every other manufacturer is offering it and poor rear crash safety rating.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:32:13 am »
The only boo-boo on this vehicle is bundling side airbags with top-end V6 model while almost every other manufacturer is offering it and poor rear crash safety rating.

Toyota has a bad habit of doing that, unfortunately.

I gotta say, saying the new RAV and then seeing the new Santa Fe that Neil showed us, I don't really see the resemblance. There are a few similarities, but I don't think it looks that much like the RAV. I'm sure the new Santa Fe will be stealing a few sales from Toyota though.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:55:17 am »
We drove the $39k V6 Limited with leather on the weekend. Sure is a big step up from our tiny-feeling 2000 RAV4. Almost too big of a step up - parking the new RAV4 next to a Highlander and Lexus RX330 showed that it's solidly in that size class now.

Yes, the V6 throttle is sensitive at tip-in, but you adjust for that. The 3.5 has mountains of midrange torque and the power is always right there - very enticing. But my wife found it was equally comfortable just being babied around town.

Overall it seemed like a comfortable and capable vehicle. Definitely on our short list.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 10:05:07 am »
I went to click on the specifications link and ended up at Microsoft.  I know that Billy boy would like to own everything but really, this is too much.   :o :o :think: :think: :think:    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Here is the link as posted:
http://http//www.canadiandriver.com/overviews/2006/toyota/rav4.php

Here is where it actually ends up:
http://www.microsoft.com/

I think if you just remove the extra "http//" it should work properly.  ;)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

UmroAyyar

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 10:11:06 am »
I went to click on the specifications link and ended up at Microsoft.  I know that Billy boy would like to own everything but really, this is too much.   :o :o :think: :think: :think:    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Here is the link as posted:
http://http//www.canadiandriver.com/overviews/2006/toyota/rav4.php

Here is where it actually ends up:
http://www.microsoft.com/

I think if you just remove the extra "http//" it should work properly.  ;)

I do see and get the extra "http//" in the hyerplink. But it does not take me to www.microsoft.com. It gives me the standard IE "The page cannot be displayed" error page.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 10:56:09 am »
I sat in a leather Limited model and was very uncomfortable in it. The bottom cushion's shape and small size were questionable to me.

Otherwise I think they've done a good job and can't believe the power in that thing. It'll be interesting to see to what degree the Santa Fe can undercut it in pricing and how the two stack up. Despite the size, I think the RAV still looks relatively compact which I like. Contrary to what I expressed previously, it does still really resemble the previous gen.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:08:16 am »
However, the choice of a "reserved" 4-cylinder or a "muscular" V6 left him "wondering if a single engine with sufficient power for most activities would not have been better than two engines at opposite extremes of the power continuum."

I definitely agree with that. Toyota (and Honda with its CR-V) should offer a fuel-efficient, small V6 engine in their small SUVs... somewhere between 2.7L and 3.0L... Knowing how great they both are at making fuel efficient engines, I'm sure a Honda 3.0L V6 would be at least as efficient as Ford/Mazda's 2.3L I4, or even Hyundai's 2.0L. A 2.7L-3.0L V6 would be the perfect compromise between power and fuel economy IMO.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 01:50:14 pm »
I can't see how this mini ute is any better than any of the
offerings from Hyundai etc. The premium people pay for
a Toyota is testament to their reputation however much
of that is hype. My friend works at a Toyota dealer and
sees his fair share of problem cars and told me on the QT that
Toyota's arent't anywhere as bulletproof as is thought as there
is plenty of defects and warranty work being done on
cars. He told me the engineers on the last gen RAV4
should be shot - the oil filter is an inch or so away from
the exhaust manifold and to make matters worse it's
tucked in and very very difficult to reach. He has burnt
himself more than a few times. I hope the Koreans and
the Big 3 get the credit they deserve...their offerings in
this segment are just as good as this Toyota.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 01:53:14 pm »
Well I now own a Sportage, but I can clearly see what the RAV4 offers over a mini-ute from Hyundai/Kia... 1) it's a lot bigger than any of the Hyundai/Kia SUVs... and 2) Toyota engines are amongst the best for fuel economy and reliability. While Hyundai engines are getting better and better both in reliability and fuel economy, there's no denying that Toyota (and Honda) is still at least a few steps ahead.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 02:52:27 pm »
I can't see how this mini ute is any better than any of the
offerings from Hyundai etc. The premium people pay for
a Toyota is testament to their reputation however much
of that is hype. My friend works at a Toyota dealer and
sees his fair share of problem cars and told me on the QT that
Toyota's arent't anywhere as bulletproof as is thought as there
is plenty of defects and warranty work being done on
cars. He told me the engineers on the last gen RAV4
should be shot - the oil filter is an inch or so away from
the exhaust manifold and to make matters worse it's
tucked in and very very difficult to reach. He has burnt
himself more than a few times. I hope the Koreans and
the Big 3 get the credit they deserve...their offerings in
this segment are just as good as this Toyota.

Are you using some kind of electronic carriage return?

The Internet has word wrap now.  If you keep typing, your words won't run off the screen.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 03:28:03 pm »
Are you using some kind of electronic carriage return?

The Internet has word wrap now.  If you keep typing, your words won't run off the screen.

Thanks!  :rofl:

hugol

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 09:57:31 am »
I have just bought a 2006 RAV4 Sport...

I have to say I was really impressed with it! I pretty much considered all Small SUV entries in my "buy " process and this new bigger RAV4 definitely offers more value for money!

I looked at the Koreans , the north americans and the Japanese.

As for the Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson and Satana Fe, their cheap looking interior, past reliability and the fact they still do not keep their value well turned me off. Most people I know who have owned Huyndai cars have sworned them off forever. I know they are better cars now than they were a couple years back (I would go for a Hyundai before a GM actually) and in all honesty, I haven't spoken with a late model Huyndai owner but I just couldn't get past this bad connotation in my mind... I did seriously look at the Sorento, which is more mid size, as I always though it looked like a $50K SUV when you see it on the street, but in the end, couldn't get over my Korean car block and buy it. Plus it's hefty gas consumption comared to the RAV4 help seal its fate.

GM had nothing that really interested me except for the Saturn Vue V6 - Red Line, I'm still hearing horror stories about that 3.4L power plant and was not intersted in finding out if the last generation is any better long term. The Honda engine and tranny in the Saturn Vue really interested me and made it a real contender. As for the Ford Escape, well...

The Japanese cars held my interest the most. I though the Grand Vitara offered tremendous value for money, I really liked the styling of the Mazda CX-7 (basically a Murano for 5-7K less!) and the Toyota RAV4 had the biggest and baddest engine (with a comparable or lower gas mileage than it competitors). I was not interested in the Honda CRV and the X-trail (why? their comparable in price only since their both smaller in size, have only 4 cylinder available and I was interested in the power of a 6 for towing capability and offered less standard features). The Grand Vitara offered a car with tons of standard features for considerably less, it's only drawback was it's size and the gas mileage on it's V6, but I did like it's look quite a bit. The CX-7 was probably the most fun to drive with the sequential 6 speed automatic shifter and turbo boosted 2.3L to 244HP. But it gets  pricey if you want the AWD and the gas mileage is one of the worst in that category. Plus the fact that it's a turbo on a 2.3L 4 DISI, I think that long term wear and tear will take it's toll. This left the RAV4 Sport V6 AWD. I though it was well equipped (Toyota could have done better with side curtain air bags), definitely had the best engine in it's class (3.5L with the most HP and more than decent gas mileage for that kind of power) plus you get Toyota quality. I have a mechanics in the family who swears by Toyota and this is my first time owning one so my expectations are high!

H

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 10:27:00 am »
The new RAV4 is great vehicle, no doubts about that. Congrats on the purchase!

avtoller

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 10:37:49 am »
Welcome to the Forums, Hugol. I hope you will stick around to enjoy the fun. I expect that you will enjoy your new ride too - it seems like an excellant choice for that market segment.  :thumbup:

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 10:48:06 am »
Good choice on the new RAV4, Hugo1, and welcome to this Forum. Can you post a picture of your new RAV?  ;D
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

hugol

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 11:30:06 am »
thanks all.

I will post pictures as soon as I get it, delivery set for Fri. the 16th!!!  Cannot wait and I'm very disapointed I didn't get it this week.

I would like to get some feedback (from owners and tire kickers) on the other models in the same category of the 06 RAV4. Especially I would like to know what people think of the current buiild quiality and bang for buck of Korean and North American verus Japanese made cars (knowing that this disctinction is harder and harder to make).

Also, what are the latest news and opinions on GM 3.4L engine, are it's gasket problems a thing of the past?

I'm also posting a new thread in the buying & selling section about my latest experience to start a discussion on the buying experience - redux, as I've found it was much different this time then when I last bought in late 02.

thanks again

Hugo
Car lover and Persistent Tire Kicker  ;D

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 11:47:05 am »
well I did consider buying a new RAV4 a while ago, but was thoroughly disapointed by the cheapness of its built, the doors felt very empty, dash design was questionable, etc.

It will be reliable, and have good fuel consumption, that's for sure... but the rest of the vehicle turned me off. Didn't do anything for me.

I chose the Sportage for a variety of reasons, and certainly don't regret it.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 11:49:37 am »
Congrats on the new RAV hugol! I can't wait to see pics.

hugol

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 01:14:26 pm »
I will agree that the interior was not the selling point on the 06 RAV4, the two-tier dash looks a bit odd but I think I will get used to it. Other worries are the right hinged cargo door and I heard some rumblings about the braking....

we'll have to see once I get it!

H