Author Topic: CD Article: Buick Rendezvous, 2002-2006  (Read 11444 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: Buick Rendezvous, 2002-2006
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:10:23 pm »
Used Car Review:
Buick Rendezvous, 2002-2006

2006 Buick RendezvousA mechanical twin to the much-maligned Pontiac Aztek, the Buick Rendezvous "suffers from more than its share of (mechanical) troubles," says Chris Chase. But with seating for up to seven, and available all-wheel drive, "it's a useful vehicle with a spacious interior and unique looks," he says.     More...

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
Re: CD Article: Buick Rendezvous, 2002-2006
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 11:41:51 pm »
This thing is just garish.    :hurl:

I'd rather drive an Aztec.
Internal combustion thrust I trust

a4_tom

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 11:55:44 pm »
This "tiger wood mobile" looks terrible inside and out, gimme a Highlander instead.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 07:51:16 am »
The rear of this car is the worst angle IMO.

I know a guy who traded in his Mustang for one of these  :o

Ok ok, the guy was my former english teacher in high school and IS over 60 years old. He was complaining that the seats in the Mustang hurt his back and it was horrible to drive in the winter. But STILL  ;)

Gardiner Westbound

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 08:07:50 am »
General Motors touts the quality of its recent products saying the bad old days of manufacturing lousy cars are behind it. These are the major problems Canadian Driver lists for the current Buick Rendezvous.

1.   Bad 4T65E transaxles,
2.   Bad air conditioning condensers,
3.   Bad ABS sensors, which also take-out the on-demand all-wheel drive system,
4.   Leaking intake manifold gaskets that can quickly ruin an engine.

In addition Transport Canada has issued eight recalls.

It doesn't provide me with the confidence I need to look at GM's wares much less buy one.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:34:52 pm by Gardiner Westbound »

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 06:27:36 pm »
Good grief.  :P

I dislike this vehicle for lots of reasons. Looks are terrible, it drives like a tank, the one time I rented one in a mild winter the windshield washer fluid kept freezing in the washer mechanism. It was just a cruddy vehicle, period.
JWW

Electric CO

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 09:17:36 pm »
After along string of Honda cars, I just got myself a 2006 all black Rendezvous CX and after two months, I am still very much impressed with my choice. It’s quite the vehicle, and quite the deal if you ask me! The all black treatment really makes it look better than lighter colors and the previous two tone choices, and with the appearance modifications of recent years (clear blinkers and bigger wheels and tires notably) the rendezvous is a fine looking contraption. For the price, it is a splendid van/wagon/SUV and it looks way more upscale than it’s $28000 price tag. We had looked at used ones, but with all the good offers from GM, a new one seemed like a better idea.

I am quite impressed with the standard equipment (fogs, large wheels and tires, big V6, good towing capacity, 4 wheel disc brakes, independent suspension, tons of room, removable rear seats, good radio, cruise, and even more impressed by what it doesn’t have (no abs, no traction control, no unnecessary high-tech under the hood, no wood on the dash, no mag wheels – I prefer steel rims and hubcaps – no third row, no navigation, no useless electronic gizmos). I just wanted a nice looking and spacious vehicle to bring us where we want to go in comfort and that could easily tow week-end toys on a small trailer. It is quite economical if you use the cruise control on the highway and keep the revs below 2000 rpm. Despite it’s big V6, it compares well to a Honda Element on fuel economy. Besides, for most errands and my commute to work, I drive my odd little Honda hybrid. The Buick complements it well.

Reliability wise, I am totally at ease with the Rendezvous. They’ve been building it long enough (another plus) and I’m sure GM has ironed the kinks out. 2005-2006 models don’t appear to have had any noteworthy problems. And if there are issues, well the warranty is quite good. I just believe this is quite the deal and that more people should take it on a test drive when wanting a family vehicle in that price range. This thing is the same price as a regular sedan, but it is HUGE inside and it towers over pretty much everything. I also must add that I am 37, (about half the age of a typical Buick owner) and just find it so amusing to say I drive a Buick! It’s soooo comfortable, and smooth and different to the generic or trendy cars that all my neighbors or friends have. I love it!!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 09:30:17 pm »
Good grief.  :P

I dislike this vehicle for lots of reasons. Looks are terrible, it drives like a tank, the one time I rented one in a mild winter the windshield washer fluid kept freezing in the washer mechanism. It was just a cruddy vehicle, period.

What a stupid reason to to dish a car because windshield fluid froze maybe if the right fluid was up in it would not freeze

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 08:13:56 am »
After along string of Honda cars, I just got myself a 2006 all black Rendezvous CX and after two months, I am still very much impressed with my choice. It’s quite the vehicle, and quite the deal if you ask me! The all black treatment really makes it look better than lighter colors and the previous two tone choices, and with the appearance modifications of recent years (clear blinkers and bigger wheels and tires notably) the rendezvous is a fine looking contraption. For the price, it is a splendid van/wagon/SUV and it looks way more upscale than it’s $28000 price tag. We had looked at used ones, but with all the good offers from GM, a new one seemed like a better idea.

I am quite impressed with the standard equipment (fogs, large wheels and tires, big V6, good towing capacity, 4 wheel disc brakes, independent suspension, tons of room, removable rear seats, good radio, cruise, and even more impressed by what it doesn’t have (no abs, no traction control, no unnecessary high-tech under the hood, no wood on the dash, no mag wheels – I prefer steel rims and hubcaps – no third row, no navigation, no useless electronic gizmos). I just wanted a nice looking and spacious vehicle to bring us where we want to go in comfort and that could easily tow week-end toys on a small trailer. It is quite economical if you use the cruise control on the highway and keep the revs below 2000 rpm. Despite it’s big V6, it compares well to a Honda Element on fuel economy. Besides, for most errands and my commute to work, I drive my odd little Honda hybrid. The Buick complements it well.

Reliability wise, I am totally at ease with the Rendezvous. They’ve been building it long enough (another plus) and I’m sure GM has ironed the kinks out. 2005-2006 models don’t appear to have had any noteworthy problems. And if there are issues, well the warranty is quite good. I just believe this is quite the deal and that more people should take it on a test drive when wanting a family vehicle in that price range. This thing is the same price as a regular sedan, but it is HUGE inside and it towers over pretty much everything. I also must add that I am 37, (about half the age of a typical Buick owner) and just find it so amusing to say I drive a Buick! It’s soooo comfortable, and smooth and different to the generic or trendy cars that all my neighbors or friends have. I love it!!

A Honda guy that converted to GM? Looks like we've found a new best friend for Barrie!  :rofl2:

Thanks for you input on this vehicle. While it's definately not my cup of tea, this proves that the Rendez-Vous does have people who like it and who appreciate it for what it is. I too am not overly big on all the electronic gizmos and don't really see the point of paying thousands of dollars for Navi. But I understand that there are some who actually need it and use it.

Like I said, the guy that I know who traded his Mustang for a Rendez-Vous loves it and says it's the most comfortable car he's ever owned. To each his own I guess.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 12:05:30 pm »
What a stupid reason to to dish a car because windshield fluid froze maybe if the right fluid was up in it would not freeze
There was alot more wong with this thing that frozen washer fluid jets - and wouldn't have dumped it if it hadn't have waddled all over the road. In the cold weather, it was a very poor vehicle.